- 5.5kg cooked leg ham
- 2 tbs whole cloves
- Juice of 1 oranges and 1 lemon
- 10 – 12 bay leaves
- Rind of 1 orange and 1 lemon , finely sliced
- 100g dark brown sugar2 tablespoon of honey
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 190C.
- Using a sharp knife, score a shallow diamond pattern in fat, at 1.5cm intervals, without cutting into meat.
- Stud the point of each diamond with a clove.
- At the end of the bone on the leg cut about 5cm from the meat and pull back the skin and remove.
- Place ham in a large roasting pan.
- Pour orange and lemon juice over ham then pour 1/3 cup water into base of pan.
- For glaze: combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Brush thickly over ham.
- Bake ham for 45 minutes, basting with juices occasionally.
- Push an uncooked clove into each of 12 bay leaves and press into ham.
- Brush ham with pan juices then bake for a further 15 minutes or until glaze is deep brown. If juices in pan evaporate too quickly, add a little more water.
- Place ham on to a platter.
- To carve, remove cloves and bay leaves. Use a thin carving knife to carve thin slices away from the bone, following the grain of the meat and around the bone.