Chicken Parmigiana is an Australian favourite and this one’s great for everyone, even those of you who need to eat gluten-free and egg-free.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1kg vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
- 3/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 6 slices (250g) gluten-free bread, torn
- 1/2 cup gluten-free plain flour
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat plain yoghurt
- 4 (500g) chicken schnitzels (uncrumbed)
- 100g mozzarella cheese, grated baby spinach, to serve
Check on each ingredient to ensure that it doesn’t have any gluten in it.
- Process bread and 2 tablespoons of flour until fine crumbs form.
- Add ¼ cup basil. Process until basil is finely chopped.
- Transfer mixture to a large plate.
- Place remaining flour on a plate. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a shallow bowl whisk yoghurt, 1/3 garlic and 2 tablespoons of cold water.
- Coat each schnitzel lightly in flour, shaking off excess.
- Dip in yoghurt mixture, shaking off excess. Coat in bread mixture and place on a plate.
- Heat remaining oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Cook chicken, in batches, for 2 to 3 minutes each side or until golden and just cooked through, adding more oil if needed. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
- In the meantime, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add two-thirds garlic. Cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Increase heat to high.
- Add tomato. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until tomatoes have just collapsed.
- Stir in 1/2 cup basil.
- Preheat grill on medium-high heat. On a large baking tray, arrange chicken, in a single layer.
- Spoon over tomato mixture from step 4.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Grill until cheese is golden.
To serve: Serve immediately with a green salad on the side.